Sunday, July 15, 2012

Freezing Cake Batter... Yes, It Works!

Last week I baked a cake and I must have been in a preoccupied state, because I made an error in calculating exactly how much batter I'd needed. I ended up with way more than was necessary and I couldn't bake the extra batter into cakes or cupcakes and store them in my freezer. You see, my freezer has a space issue. My obsessive desire to bake along with my intense love of a place you may know called Costco leaves me with no freezer space whatsoever.
So, what's a girl to do with cups and cups of leftover batter? I scoured the internet for some hope and found something quite nearly life-changing... (for me, anyway).
You can freeze batter! Did you know that? I know what you're thinking - yeah, right. Well, I was of the same mindset but figured now was as good a time as any to try. So I froze the batter expecting to throw it out at some point in the near future...


Do you want to know what happened when I decided to bake them a week later?


Delicious, fluffy, moist, utterly fresh cupcakes. No one who had one of these cupcakes could tell that they were baked from frozen batter that had been in my freezer for a week. Sucess. Big sucess.
Do you ever want fresh baked cupcakes with minimal time? Are you ever knee-deep in batter that you don't intend on using immediately? Do you sometimes find yourself with no space in your freezer needing to store unused cake batter because something came up that you hadn't planned for and you had to run out of your kitchen and quite possibly your house covered in a layer of flour? If any of these instances have happened or may happen in the future, do the following:
Grab a quart-sized ziploc freezer bag and fill it with about 2 cups of batter. Push out all the air and seal the bag. You may double bag it if you are unsure of the strength of your bags. Store the filled freezer bags , slightly flattened, in your freezer. Within an hour or so, the batter will solidify and wait patiently (taking up very little space) for the day you decide to bake them off. According to the source, this batter will last up to three months without any deterioration. Once you are ready to bake the batter, throw the frozen bag into your fridge to thaw, or if you need it sooner, go straight to your kitchen counter. Once thawed, snip the corner of the bag and squeeze out the batter into your baking pan of choice. This will be the neatest possible way to get the batter out of the bag. While you are doing this, preheat your oven as directed in the recipe. When the oven is ready, pop the prepared baking pans in! If the batter is cold, tack on a couple of minutes to your baking time. If it is room temperature, bake as you normally would. Your cake will come out perfectly, you'll see! In fact, when they bake up, they are exactly as light, fluffy, and delicious as they would have been if you were to prepare and bake the batter as you normally would, without any freezing! I honestly couldn't believe my eyes when I tried this!
In considering the types of batter to freeze, I would stick to batters where there are no add-ins such as chocolate chips, fruit, nuts, etc. You want a fairly homogeneous batter when you are freezing since you aren't sure how these add-ins will freeze or if they will alter the batter in an unpredictable way. If you have to add in ingredients such as chocolate chips, fruits, or nuts try defrosting the batter and then lightly folding them in right before baking.
Although I'll most likely only be using this method as an emergency option, it's still nice to know freezing cake batter is a viable option.
Hope this tip has been helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment